- Excellent mentor
- Creative problem solver
- Caring and inspiring
- Kind and compassionate
- The desire to inform and empower the team
- Make staff feel valued
- Good leader and communicator
- Honest and upfront.
I’m a good Managing Director because:
- I have good communication skills
- I am assertive
- I can reflect on my own behaviour honestly and make changes when I want or need to improve on
- I am open-minded with a positive “can-do” attitude
- I have lots of good ideas
- I always try to do the right thing even when it’s difficult
- I care about people (young people and the team).
- I have an MA (Honours) degree in Psychology, an MSc in Child Development and a PhD in Child Psychology all awarded at Edinburgh University.
- I am a Chartered Psychologist and an Associated Fellow registered with the British Psychology Society.
My PhD was in the development of communication in the first year of life and I studied mothers and babies in Scotland and Japan, working in partnership with Japanese colleagues at Waseda University in Tokyo.
I have previous experience of managing staff and volunteers in an after-school club setting (delivering childcare and play services for children aged 5-12) and I was also Chair Person for the after school club committee for 2 years.
I worked as a Senior Health Promotion Specialist (Sexual Health) with Lothian NHS and gained considerable experience in project management working with senior colleagues across the Lothians.
I contributed to developing policy and new resources to support professionals and to encourage parents and carers to talk to their children about sex and relationships.
I delivered a range of projects for foster carers and parents who had experienced a variety of difficulties (domestic violence, homelessness, rape/sexual assault, inequality and poverty).
I worked for a short time as a Senior Mental Health Specialist with Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services and delivered consulting services for residential care staff and other professionals working to improve the mental health of looked after and accommodated young people.
As a project worker working with HOT I developed the Turn Around 1-1 therapeutic support programme for young people experiencing emotional health difficulties.
I developed and maintained the referral systems for this programme and I supported piloting and evaluating the programme to successfully show its effectiveness.
I have a wealth of experience delivering therapeutic services for young people and I have been providing support and supervision to staff delivering therapeutic services for the last 7 years.
I love singing and dancing for fun and I like to walk and to spend time with my family and friends.
I have been doing Karate for a few years and I like watching films, listening to music, gardening (when it’s sunny) and I am trying to learn to sew, play guitar/bass/piano and to draw.